SafeSplash was recently asked by Colorado Parent Magazine to provide summer water safety tips. Check out the great article and tips below!
PRACTICE WATER SAFETY
SafeSplash Swim School provided the following tips for water safety:
- Swim in areas supervised by lifeguards
- Always swim with a buddy
- Know before you go — don’t swim in water if you don’t know it is safe.
- Use family rules around water. Kids must ask permission to get in the water or swim. “Mommy are you ready?” Or “1…2…3… jump!”
- Be aware of the too’s: too tired, too cold, too far from safety, too much sun.
- Use adult swims/safety breaks for trips to the bathroom, to get a quick drink of water or a small snack, to apply more sun screen, etc.
- Never leave a child unsupervised. Do not trust a child’s life to another child or to swim aids (floaties).
The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals adds:
- Never play or swim near drains or suction fittings in pools
- Never enter a pool or spa if a suction fitting or drain cover is loose, broken or missing
- Remove toys from in and around the pool when it is not in use
- Learn to swim
- Feet first! Never dive head first in water not intended for head-first diving